Red light for sleeping: yes, it works!
In this page, we explain everything you always wanted to know about red light but never dared asking.
- Why does it helps to fall asleep
- How does it manages to neutralize the effects of blue light
- How does light affects your sleep
- How is red light emitted by the Helight ™ Sleep is different from others
- A summary of all its benefits, in 5 major points, if you are in a hurry.
Hey, Helight ™, why turning on a red light would help me fall asleep?
We understand that you might be wondering.
And if we have the answer, it’s because we are familiar with red light and its beneficial effects on the body. We’ve been working on it for years, and we’re doing it very seriously. Moreover, we are not the only ones: for the past ten years, one study after another, scientific discoveries on the subject have multiplied.
Here is what they show, and what we have experienced.
Beneficial effects on sleep
It is now proven that red light, by its properties, greatly improves the quality of sleep of people exposed to it:
- It helps to fall asleep naturally.
- Those who expose themselves to it before sleeping are more quickly efficient in the morning upon awakening. In scientific language, we speak of “reduction of sleep inertia on awakening”. In plain language: you no longer have to gulp down three coffee mugs on the way out of bed to emerge. This effect has been scientifically verified by cognitive tests
which have confirmed it on subjects.
- When waking up at night, it helps by more easily restart a sleep cycle.
- Falling asleep with a precisely calibrated red light promotes better recovery and improves the sleep quality. It also has a relaxing and soothing effect, which helps reduce stress and fatigue.
Helight ™ Sleep’s red light helps neutralize the effects of blue light on your brain
It is a surprising phenomenon, but verified by electroencephalogram: exposure to red light brings the brain back to a state of rest after exposure to blue light.
Blue light is the one to which we are most exposed to, through screens and most artificial lighting. It disrupts our circadian rhythms and our health.
We all have a circadian rhythm, that is, a 24 hour cycle, on which our biological functions naturally align, and which allows our bodies to distinguish day and night.
How many hours a day are you indoors, exposed to blue light from screens and artificial lighting? The answer is 90% of your waking time (on average).
Numerous scientific publications and clinical studies have investigated the link between exposure to light late at night or at night in relation to the disruption of our biological clocks.
All converge on a simple observation: when we are exposed to artificial light and especially “blue” light, our natural rhythm goes haywire.
Helight ™ Sleep’s red light helps you regain that natural rhythm.
But you say light disturbs sleep?
Remember your science lessons – it might already be a long way off, but we’ll help you.
In your eyes, on your retinas are thousands of cells, constituted of many small “receptors”. These have two functions:
- Transfer the perceived images back to your brain for analysis.
- Indicate to your internal clock the advancement of the day. This signaling depends on the light that the receptors in your retina perceive (for the more scientific among you, they are called “melanopsin ganglion cells” and their role was demonstrated by two researchers in 2002).
To put it simply: These little cells tell your brain and body whether it is day or night. They therefore actively participate in the regulation of your circadian rhythm. For example, if they perceive that it is getting dark, they will ask your body to gradually switch to “night” mode, thanks to a hormone: melatonin. On the other hand, when they perceive light, and in particular blue light, they will remain in “day” mode, and will not tell your body to enter a phase of sleep.
And that’s where the red light, like the one Helight ™ Sleep emits, comes in play: this light will also act on your cells. But without ever disturbing the secretion of melatonin, nor the circadian rhythm. In submarines, it is the use of red light that marks the transition from a phase of wakefulness to that of sleep, and has been for a very long time. NASA uses a similar system in the International Space Station.
All red lights are not the same
Helight ™ Sleep doesn’t just emit any light.
Pure red light
Helight ™ Sleep is the first device specifically calibrated to emit pure red light, which studies have shown to be the most effective and safe for the body.
To develop it, our researchers reproduced the best part of the setting sun. Let’s face it, it is not infrared. And it’s not the red nightlight on your TV screen. Neither lamp nor light therapy, the Helight ™ Sleep is a sleep aid device.
Calibrated to the nanometer
Helight ™ Sleep emits very precise light, and it is the world’s first sleep aid device to be adjusted to the nanometer. Helight ™ Sleep emits red light with a wavelength of exactly 630 nanometers. All clinical studies conducted on the subject use a wavelength close to this figure. The light from Helight ™ Sleep is considered “monochromatic”: in our red light there is truly only red.
Constant light, suitable for everyone
And that’s not all: the light emitted remains perfectly stable, throughout its use. It gradually turns off, leaving you to sleep in the dark. Like when the sun sets and disappears to give way to night. Thus, you spend the night in the dark after being gradually accompanied to sleep. You won’t even realize that your Helight ™ Sleep is gradually turning off.
Helight ™ Sleep can be used regardless of the age of the user – including children – and both to promote sleep and to provide a soft night light when awakening in the middle of the night.
How can we guarantee it?
Because Helight ™ Sleep is designed by a team of specialists who are committed to combining science and technology to make the benefits of red light accessible to as many people as possible. The small Helight ™ device, which will easily fit next to your bedside lamp, represents:
- 5 years of research and development
- a scientific committee made up of physicists, doctors and neuroscientists
- a rigorous testing protocol, which involved over a hundred testers, of all backgrounds and ages.
Better than a trick to fall asleep, scientifically proven effectiveness
Red light, such as that emitted by Helight ™ Sleep works:
- by acting on the receptors in your retina which have a role in alertness and concentration, without disturbing the secretion of melatonin
- by significantly reducing the negative effects of poor light hygiene, a result of our modern lifestyle
- by promoting physical recovery
- by improving sleep quality
- by helping you fall back to sleep without leaving your room in the event of a night-time awakening.
Side your sleep with the benefits of red light.
Our answers to your questions
Have a question ? The answer may be in our Frequently Asked Questions: we have gathered the most frequently asked questions of our users. And if yours isn’t there, contact us, we’re here to help.